2.03.2008

Winter Blahs



Well, here we are in the middle of winter. Yuk! Not being a fan of cold and snow, a self imposed confinement to the indoors is in effect. Hours spent reading gardening books, magazines, blogs and websites make me anxious for the arrival of spring. The thoughts of warm days, the smell of the earth warming up, the site of the first blooms of spring, keep me inspired as the snow swirls outside the window. Wiarton Willie and his counterparts have predicted an early arrival of my favourite season and I do so hope they are right!

It has been too long since I was able to put my hands in the soil, curse at weeds, smell the flowers and feel the excitement of succeeding at growing something exotic or different.

The seeds for this year have been ordered. Now comes the long wait for their arrival. When the seeds get here, my mood will improve dramatically. As the seed sowing begins, I’ll be able to forget about the weather outside. Waiting and watching for seeds to germinate will rejuvenate my enthusiasm for gardening. It always does as it means the new gardening season is almost here. Another opportunity to try new plants, push the envelope some more. There will be new gardens to build, new colours, new scents. New pests, But it will be wonderful.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Found you thru Doug Green's Blog. Your Winter Blahs" fit me to a T. I have a sunroom full of rescued plants that are awaiting the warm weather, and a box of seeds packs ready to go into pots. Also have a list of planned purchases that will strain my old back (and finances) to get them in the ground. Ah ... Spring ... it will return.
Lorra

Linda said...

Ah yes, we're all suffering from the winter blahs, especially with another ice and snow storm approaching. I bought some seeds on the weekend, just so I can sit and look at the packets and dream.

Anonymous said...

There is at least 4 feet of snow in my backyard and while it has been sunny today, spring seems a long time away, when my seeds arrive, I'll get a burst of energy.

Tina said...

Yup, I agree...it's time for winter to take a hike. A long one! Why not try wintersowing? www.wintersown.org
or
http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/wtrsow/

It really helps defeat that Seasonal Affective Disorder when I can get my hands in the dirt in the middle of a blizzard.
I still couldn't make it until start time with my indoor stuff though, so I'll probably be nursing leggy plants til June. Ugh!