
It is hard to believe that another gardening season has come and gone already! It seems as though only a few weeks have passed since I planted the first seeds. Wasn’t it just last month that I made up container gardens? Where has the time gone? I can only assume that the gardening season was loads of fun, because time has certainly flown this year!
Any day now, the seed catalogues will begin arriving and next year’s garden plans will be formulated. Next year’s garden plans?! Yes, if I can’t garden, then I can at least dream about gardening. And I can see the new gardens now:
The rose garden, ten times as bigger than the one we have, complete with trellises and arbours, a sundial, formal walkways and boxwood edging and full of David Austin roses.
The herb garden will be three times larger and moved to the centre of the yard. It will have gravel pathways, a cedar arbour sturdy enough for the hops vines, a rustic bench for contemplating life, and the herbs will be planted in beds dedicated to their particular disciplines: culinary, fragrant, cosmetic, industrial and medicinal.
The perennial garden will be doubled and planted with every variety that has ever caught my fancy. And the annuals! They will no longer be relegated to growing in containers and hanging baskets! No! I will remove all of the clay that now prohibits the growing of annuals in our garden beds and replace it with beautiful topsoil, mixed with dark, rich compost, and the annuals will thrive. I will plant every seed of every variety of annual that I have ever wanted to grow but couldn’t.
Our water feature will be transformed into a water garden, so I can have water lilies and taro and cyperus and fish, as well irises and duckweed and water lettuce. And a waterfall and a brook.
Yes, that’s what a seed catalogue does to me. It makes my imagination take flight and I design elaborate gardens that will delight the senses all season long. When I actually begin preparing the seed and plant orders, reality will kick in pretty quickly. I’ll look at my sorry little bank account, and my ten times too small greenhouse and my even smaller yard, and I’ll re-think my garden dreams. There is no doubt that the gardens will increase in size, but they won’t be as large as the ones in my dreams. And I will be planting different perennials and annuals. The herb garden will also see several new plants added. And I’ll be just as thrilled with the changes and additions as I would be with the gardens of my dreams.
Any day now, the seed catalogues will begin arriving and next year’s garden plans will be formulated. Next year’s garden plans?! Yes, if I can’t garden, then I can at least dream about gardening. And I can see the new gardens now:
The rose garden, ten times as bigger than the one we have, complete with trellises and arbours, a sundial, formal walkways and boxwood edging and full of David Austin roses.
The herb garden will be three times larger and moved to the centre of the yard. It will have gravel pathways, a cedar arbour sturdy enough for the hops vines, a rustic bench for contemplating life, and the herbs will be planted in beds dedicated to their particular disciplines: culinary, fragrant, cosmetic, industrial and medicinal.
The perennial garden will be doubled and planted with every variety that has ever caught my fancy. And the annuals! They will no longer be relegated to growing in containers and hanging baskets! No! I will remove all of the clay that now prohibits the growing of annuals in our garden beds and replace it with beautiful topsoil, mixed with dark, rich compost, and the annuals will thrive. I will plant every seed of every variety of annual that I have ever wanted to grow but couldn’t.
Our water feature will be transformed into a water garden, so I can have water lilies and taro and cyperus and fish, as well irises and duckweed and water lettuce. And a waterfall and a brook.
Yes, that’s what a seed catalogue does to me. It makes my imagination take flight and I design elaborate gardens that will delight the senses all season long. When I actually begin preparing the seed and plant orders, reality will kick in pretty quickly. I’ll look at my sorry little bank account, and my ten times too small greenhouse and my even smaller yard, and I’ll re-think my garden dreams. There is no doubt that the gardens will increase in size, but they won’t be as large as the ones in my dreams. And I will be planting different perennials and annuals. The herb garden will also see several new plants added. And I’ll be just as thrilled with the changes and additions as I would be with the gardens of my dreams.
No comments:
Post a Comment