5.19.2007

MAY 24th WEEKEND


It’s Here! The May 2-4 weekend. The weekend all gardening fanatics in South Western Ontario wait for. This is the weekend we traditionally plant out and put out our annuals, container gardens, hanging baskets and perennials.

However, Mother Nature’s spirit of co-operation is definitely lacking this year. The nights are still cool to the point of frost, the days are not as warm as we hope for. Today, the sun keeps disappearing behind some rather grey clouds. It is certainly not the kind of day that inspires one to plant out, and rain is forecast for tomorrow (typical for Victoria Day weekend). While I may whine that conditions are less than perfect for spending the day in the gardens, I am very grateful conditions are not worse. Pity those poor gardeners in Saskatchewan who are having snow right now!

Once I finish this article, off to my greenhouse I will go, to begin potting up container gardens. The previous two years, I took a break from container gardens, in part because some of my favourite containers, literally, took a break from me. But that’s another story (see Pets and Gardens article). This year I’m feeling rather greedy and have decided to forego my annual plant sale. Keeping all the plants for myself means anything and everything that will hold soil, will be potted up. I should be done by June 30th. I may be done sooner if I give some plants away. That will only happen if my best friend quits being lippy (Hah! Like that would ever happen!) and my niece ever gets off her motorcycle.

No comments: