4.01.2007

Garden Trends
I hate trends. Probably because I am a control freak and dislike being told how I must decorate my home, how I must landscape my yard how, I must dress, how I must wear my hair. Hey, it’s my life, my home, my garden, so I will do what makes me happy and never mind the trends. Sometimes, a trendy concept does appeal to me, but more often, I go about doing my own thing.

Take our home for instance. It is a small, hundred year old red brick Victorian. To me, it would be a carnal sin to modernize it. I am not talking about updating the services, I am talking about ripping all the original woodwork out, knocking down walls, and making it look like a new-build. The same philosophy applies to the gardens here.

The exterior of the house still has its original gingerbread trim. The dentil fascias are intact as are the wood frame windows, concrete sills and wooden doors. For the life of me, I cannot imagine a modern landscaping full of gravel, rocks and grasses complimenting this house. To put trendy gardens around this house would be like dressing up a hundred year old woman in a mini skirt and four inch heels. Think about that – no matter how beautiful she is, it simply would not suit her.

When we moved here five years ago, the yard had two poplar trees, an apple tree and two rose bushes. The foundation plantings consisted of overgrown and unhealthy junipers that hid the porch and the dining room window. The junipers were dispensed with immediately. Since then, we have put in a front hedge plus eleven gardens, each with its own look but all complimenting each other and just as importantly, the house. We have managed to blend Victorian era favourites with modern plant finds and the result is an eclectic look that fits.

So, when the time comes to re-design your landscaping, keep in mind the age and style of your home. Never mind the trends, but rather, balance the old standards with new favourites. That will compliment, rather than detract from your home.

No comments: